April 4, poem 4

For today’s prompt, take the phrase “Since (blank),” replace the blank with a word or phrase, make the new phrase the title of your poem, and then, write your poem. Possible titles include: “Since the Last Time I Smoked,” “Since You Said Please,” and “Since When.”

Since the last time

almost dying is my talent
the last time changed me
in subtle ways
where numbers do not make cents
where money infuriates my sense
where words drip with meanings
and comprehension rolls away from me

like marbles dropped
in a jar to count the behaviors
I want more of

Since the last time

almost dying danced with me
and changed me completely
when attacking appendixes becomes
a barren middle aged woman
the news spilled accidentally in recovery
yet I still manage to have more
children than society feels appropriate

like little people left
off in hospitals or foster care ought to be
hidden in the crevices not minivans

Since the last time

almost dying lost



No comments:

Post a Comment

January 15th

One year ago today I began to eat differently. It is called the Ketogenic diet and the information is out there for free ...